Treatments of Hearing Loss
Hearing loss affects 48 million people in the United States. Hearing loss is a major public health issue that is the third most common physical condition after arthritis and heart disease.
Hearing loss can occur at birth or can develop at any age. If you or a loved one are diagnosed with hearing loss, our friendly physicians and audiologists will discuss the appropriate treatment options for you. Treatment options of hearing loss can include medical and/or surgical intervention, hearing aids, assistive listening devices, and use of communication therapies. The appropriate treatment is determined by a number of factors including the symptoms, severity of hearing loss, type of hearing loss, and individual lifestyle needs.
Amplification and Hearing Aids
When medical intervention cannot restore hearing, hearing aids are a viable option for many individuals. The purpose of a hearing aid is to amplify or make a sound louder. While they do not restore hearing, they do improve hearing ability, allowing you to communicate more effectively. Our audiologists will discuss the benefits and limitations of various hearing aid styles and circuits to determine what will best fit your specific needs. There is no one size fits all hearing solutions at the ENT Clinic of Iowa. We service and dispense the latest hearing technology and work with all kinds of budgets.
Assistive Listening Devices
Hearing aids can be a big help, if recommended, but sometimes they cannot address the very specific needs of every individual. In these situations, there is a wide variety accessories and assistive listening devices that can help bridge communication gaps. Assistive listening devices help individuals in a variety of communication situations, including hearing the television, radio/music, telephone and more.
Education and Counseling
Education and counseling is one of the most important parts of overall hearing loss treatment. For most individuals, amplification or hearing aids and assistive listening devices are not enough. Improving communication involves a long term rehabilitative process in which the hearing aid is only part of the process. At the ENT Clinic of Iowa, our treatment process also includes: education, realistic expectations and goals, hearing aid follow-up, adjustment counseling, and communication strategies. It is important to remember: hearing aids are not a quick-fix.
Protect Your Ears and Hearing Now
The ENT Clinic of Iowa offers a wide variety of custom hearing protection solutions to fit your specific needs. These include:
- Hunter/ Shooter/Occupational Hearing protection: a variety of designs available to help reduce overall high-level noises or reduce high-level impulse noises.
- iPod/Earbud earpieces: designed for comfort and retention. No more earbuds falling out of your ears while running or exercising!
- Custom Water/Swim plugs: protect ears from water and moisture, and also reduce ambient noise by about 25dB. Ideal for bathing, showering, and swimming
- Sleep plugs/earpieces: designed to promote comfortable and uninterrupted sleep (claimed to saving many relationships!)
- Motorsports: designed for under helmet use to reduce wind buffeting
- Musicians and concert attendees: ideal hearing protector and useful for anyone who needs to hear accurately in high-noise environments
Please call us at 1-800-726-8088 to schedule your appointment to have custom ear impressions taken.